Parenting Counselor in Roswell NM
At The Or Factor, we provide you with knowledge, guidance, tools, and emotional support to help face difficult moments in parenting. See our operating hours to book a virtual consultation with our experienced therapist. We are conveniently located at 400 N. Pennsylvania Suite 670B Roswell, NM 88201 and available on Friday for an in-person consultation.
Table of Contents:
Parenting is complex. It involves building healthy attachments, setting limits, teaching values and coping with emotions. Parents need support and guidance from others, but they also benefit from individualized advice and support. Behavioral health professionals, such as psychologists, social workers and counselors, can help parents navigate these challenges and develop healthy habits.
Parenting counseling is a type of therapy in which a counselor helps parents deal with the unique challenges of raising children. Unlike most family therapy, which is geared towards helping adults work through their problems, parenting counseling is specifically designed for parents who need support and guidance on how to raise their children. Therapists in this field are experienced in child development, and work with parents to help them understand their child’s development and how this affects their behavior.
The challenges parents face can be overwhelming, and sometimes it can feel like there is not enough time or resources to do everything they need to do. When this happens, it is beneficial to seek the help of a parenting counseling therapist. There are many benefits of working with a professional, such as getting help with a specific problem or issue, rather than trying to figure it out through trial and error or by reading parenting books from the library that may or may not be pertinent to the situation at hand. While child psychology and parenting books can be beneficial, there is no replacement for seeing a professional in this field; they can take a closer look at the situation and provide feedback based on their observations and understandings, something no book can do.
Parent counseling has been shown to be one of the most effective ways to help parents better understand their role as caregivers and providers as well as how to handle the difficulties and challenges that come with raising a family. It can help parents learn how to effectively train their children, foster a sense of responsibility in their children, and improve communication between them and their children. Parent counseling also provides a supportive environment where parents can get help in dealing with the stresses of raising children and find support from professionals who have experience with these issues. It is also a great opportunity for parents to learn more about their children and how to best support their development.
There are many challenges of parenting; each parent experiences disparate difficulties as every household and family is unique. However, common challenges of parenting include:
• Taking Care of Their Mental and Emotional Needs — It is important that children are given the attention they need to live a life full of love, security, happiness, and wellbeing. While it can be easy to get frustrated or respond with anger when a child is having a temper tantrum, it is important to understand that children are experiencing complex emotions which they have not yet learned how to deal with.
• Instilling Good Behaviors — Guiding a child’s behavior to teach them proper conduct, and to educate them about boundaries and limitations is important; if parents do not act in the way they wish their children to, they need to first reflect on their behaviors to instill positive behavioral changes in their children.
• Looking after Their Educational Needs — While teachers help kids learn in school, parents are responsible for teaching their children their educational needs at home, such as proper study habits.
Other challenges include:
• Instilling the importance of discipline
• Improving their communication skills
• Being a positive role model
Although every parent can benefit from parent counseling, it is most beneficial for parents who are:
• Experiencing marital problems
• Suffering from ill-health
• In the process of separation or divorce
• Experiencing abuse or violence
• Dealing with loss
• Abusing alcohol or drugs
• Struggling with children/teen problems
The professionals at The OR Factor can help you improve your skills as a parent. Call us today to book an appointment with our parenting counselor, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 400 N Pennsylvania Suite 670B, Roswell, NM 88201. We look forward to serving you! We serve clients from Roswell NM, Artesia NM, Hobbs NM, Clovis NM, Portales NM, Vaughn NM, Socorro NM and surrounding areas.